Lately, I have been obsessed with the color blue. Royal blue velvets, sapphire blue silks, peacock suede and all the variations in between. I guess you can say, I have a love affair with this calming and also energizing hue. Blue is such a classic color and can be used in so many ways. For instance, you can add a navy blue wall color to a room to create drama… or use an antiqued french blue accent piece for a soft and sophisticated addition.
Take a look at a few spaces I have fallen head over heels for and tell me what you think.
Elegant rooms showcase fine design featuring style and grace. They are neither flashy nor stuffy. Rather cleverly designed functional spaces. The best way to create an elegant space of your own is to minimize the use of current trends in your home. Instead focus on achieving an elegant edge utilizing stylish pieces that are classic and will be around for many years to come. There are a few things to keep in mind to help you along the way.
1. Introduce classic lines and soft curves.
2. Add comfortable fabrics and textures.
3. Keep in mind the natural flow of light (do not block with furniture placement).
4. Maintain symmetrical balance and proportions
Ultimately maintain a youthful, fresh approach to a traditional design aesthetic. This is the perfect recipe for a perfectly designed space. Take a look at a few inspirational pictures to get you on your way.
The world can get oh, so chaotic and it is important to create a space that is peaceful and serene. That being said I am absolutely one who loves her beauty sleep, especially after a hard days work. It is important for me to be able to come home and have a relaxing space where I can unwind from the day. That place for me would be my bedroom.
A bedroom should be all about comfort. Like I said before, the bedroom is a place to unwind and just relax. When designing a bedroom ultimately a bed is required but don’t stop there. Adding a comfortable sitting area adds another element in the room in which you can decompress.
Here are a few things I would recommend when creating your bedroom space:
1. Add plush, soft fabrics where ever possible. Think linen or silk bed linens, faux fur throws and velvet upholstered furniture.
2. Use a soothing color palette.
3. Add candles preferably unscented.
4.Get rid of the office desk and chair. No need to think of work before bed. It will surely be there in the morning when you wake up.
5. Remove the TV and exercise equipment.
6. Scale is key to create harmony. Take notice of the size of your bed and other pieces of furniture to ensure everything fits perfectly. Keep in mind to make choices that make the biggest impact.
Take a look at some bedroom spaces and be inspired!
Being a girly girl, I love lots of pinks, reds and purples. Glamorous detail such as; fur throws, animal print and metallic accessories. All these things make a home sweet home for me. Incorporating a room or two to the leading lady is a must in my opinion. Sorry gentleman but I am sure you understand. What’s that saying, “A happy wife means a happy life.” Just saying! A woman needs a place to unwind and be delighted in all the beautiful things around her.
Ladies when creating your feminine sanctuary remember these key elements:
1. Use soft to the touch fabrics.
2. Choose your color palette wisely. For example, pinks, purples or pastels.
3. Use pretty accessories (metallics are everything). Kind-of-like the jewelry in the room.
4. Choose furniture with curves down to the legs.
Here are some images to help you along the way.